What Role Does Color Play in Attracting the Mosquitoes in the House?
Mosquitoes, being the blood-sucking insects, find their way to enter the house even if you try to avoid them to a large extent. Various factors play a role in attracting mosquitoes, such as body heat, scent, carbon dioxide, and others. However, there is one more factor that plays a significant role in attracting mosquitoes, and that is the color of your surroundings.
In this article, we will learn how color plays a significant role in attracting mosquitoes. However, if you are facing a massive problem of pest infestations, then it is essential to consult a professional such as Saela Pest to solve your problems. Before learning about which colors attract mosquitoes or the role of the colors, let’s first understand the vision of mosquitoes.
Understanding the Mosquito Vision
Mosquitoes have compound eyes, which means that they have a broader spectrum of light in comparison to humans. Another fact is that they are sensitive to ultraviolet light. The mosquito vision is adapted to focus on a specific color wavelength. They have hundreds of tiny lenses that allow them to see in varied directions at one time and detect things. Thus, this is how mosquito vision works. Now, let’s understand the role of colors in attracting mosquitoes.
Which Colors Attract Mosquitoes?
- Dark Colors: Mosquitoes are attracted to dark colors to a large extent, especially to blacks and dark blues. Dark colors stand out against the surrounding environment and thus make it easier for the mosquitoes to spot the potential hosts. Therefore, if you are primarily a target of mosquitoes, then you must try avoiding dark colors in the evenings.
- Red and Orange: These colors are also one of the most attractive colors for mosquitoes. It is because the red and orange mimic the warm color associated with the setting of the sun, which is the time when the mosquitoes are most active. So, if you are wearing these colors, mosquitoes may peek in your house.
- Contrasting Colors: Mosquitoes are also drawn to areas where there is high color contrast. For instance, if the wall is light colored and the furniture is dark colored, then mosquitoes may be attracted to a large number. A more uniform color will protect the mosquitoes or save their infestation in your house.
Which Colors Repent the Mosquitoes?
- Light Colors: If there are light colors such as whites, pastels, or yellows, then the mosquitoes are less attracted to such colors. It is because these colors easily blend with the surroundings, and therefore, mosquitoes are unable to detect them, unlike the dark colors that stand out in every environment.
- Green: Mosquitoes do not find it easy to detect the green color because it is similar to nature’s color, and therefore, the color blends with the environment. Thus, if you opt for green-colored clothes or furniture, it can repel mosquitoes to some level.
- Neutral Colors: There are some neutral tones, such as khaki and beige, which are less attractive to mosquitoes. It is between the dark and light colors, and therefore, it is less noticeable for mosquitoes. Therefore, you can consider using these colors in your house, which will create a less appealing environment for mosquitoes.